The Keto diet is the most followed and is one of the most popular diet plans right now. But the vegan keto diet is something new. Now you might wonder why these two separate diet plans cannot work together. Here is the good news, it is possible. This article is all about the vegan keto diet meal plan. Also, you will get to know what to consume in order to follow the diet.
What Is The Keto Diet?
The keto diet contains a high amount of good fats, a moderate amount of protein, and almost no carbs; however, the protein in the keto diet is mainly derived from animals. If you think of yourself, the high amount of protein is available in fish, meat, chicken, dairy, and stuff that vegans do not consume. We will get to this later, but first, what happens in the keto diet, and what is it?
When you consume a low amount of carbs, your body is forced to make energy from the stored fat in your body, lowering your body’s fat and helping you lose weight.
Can Vegans Be On Keto?
As we discussed earlier, the keto diet requires you to consume a good amount of protein found in meats and dairy. However, vegans do not consume those. This does not mean you cannot follow a vegan diet and follow the keto diet. There is plenty of vegan keto diet meal plans out there, and we will be guiding you through them.
How Can Vegans Be On Keto?
The issue here is about protein; well, vegans have the option of consuming protein that is plant or nut-based. However, plant-based protein is not enough to put your body into a state of ketosis, where it starts to use up stored fat. In this case, it is essential to indulge in the vegan diet with the keto diet. A vegan diet will encourage you to opt for high in good fats plant-based products such as coconut oil, nuts, seeds, etc.
Does The Vegan Keto Diet Work? The Benefits of The Vegan Keto Diet
The primary query that arises in a vegan keto diet is will it work because you consume a moderate protein amount. Yes, a vegan keto diet works, and most of the studies show that it is better for you than most diets. Let us give you some reasons why.
1. The first and most important benefit is related to the vegan diet itself. The vegan diet will eliminate most risks related to cholesterol, such as heart diseases, blood pressure, etc. This is because you are cutting down all the animal fat.
2. On the other hand, it is observed vegans are very cautious and aware of their diet, what they eat, and how much they eat. This automatically helps them to develop a healthy lifestyle.
3. Moreover, numerous studies have shown that people who go vegan are most likely to reduce more fat and weight than people who are not vegan. The main reason being the cutting down of animal-based products which lowers the amount of fat consumed.
4. The issues with chronic diseases go down when one is on a vegan keto diet.
5. Not to forget, certain kinds of cancers, seizures, etc. risks are greatly reduced.
6. A vegan keto diet will also help you balance your blood sugar levels, which is because of the foods you consume. They help to reduce insulin resistance, which aids your blood sugar in being more regulated.
7. The vegan keto diet has also shown significant results in controlling women’s related issues such as polycystic ovaries and hormonal imbalances.
8. If you are suffering from stress, depression, or any other issue that aids mental health deterioration, do not even think about it and simply turn to the vegan keto diet. It will not only give you the knowledge you are looking after yourself, but it will improve your brain health too.
It is a win-win situation for your physical and mental health to be both, vegan and on the keto diet.
How To Plan Your Vegan Keto Diet Meal Plan
We understand that, after all, a vegan keto diet can be tricky, but you want to do something good for your body and the planet earth. A vegan keto diet is perfect for that, although we cannot deny it is very restrictive, and you will have to take care. Do not worry; we will help you get through it.
The Ratios And Intakes
It will be complicated to limit your carb intake and take an ample amount of protein without this guide. We made sure to provide you with every single detail you will need for your vegan keto diet journey. Firstly, we will move on to what you need to eat and in what quantities.
- Carbs: less or equal to 35 grams per day (5%)
- Protein: just 25% protein of your total calorie intake per day.
- Fats: only plant-based and protein-based 70% of your calories from fat.
This might sound a little confusing to you, do not worry, we will explain in more detail; stay tuned. This is what you need to do:
- 1. First, we suggest you get a calculator specially designed for following the keto diet. This way, you can monitor all your daily food intake and the number of nutrients it contains easily.
- 2. You do have to keep track of your nutrient intake, right? How about taking some additional supplements after consulting your doctor? They will only help you achieve your health and weight goals more easily.
- 3. Try plant oil and low carb vegetables. Everything you consume should be plant-based, seed-based, or nut-based.
What not to eat then? Hold on; we will get to that later in the article.
What Not To Consume
You can be certain you cannot have anything related to an animal, but having a good list of what you can consume would be better, right? We have jotted down the components you should be consuming, what to consume less of, and what to consume more of. First, let us see what to avoid altogether.
Any kind of meat. There is no surprise here; you cannot have any type of meat which includes beef, mutton, pork, chicken, or turkey.
Next, you have to stay away from anything that comes from an animal, such as dairy. Dairy includes milk, butter, eggs, yogurt, buttermilk, cream, etc.
Meat also includes seafood, but we are jotting it down separately so there is no confusion. You cannot have any kind of fish, shrimp, clam, or oysters. All the components that come out of the sea (the animals) are off-limits.
These are probably things most of you will have never thought are not included. Being on a vegan keto diet also includes staying away from honey, whey protein, any kind of egg protein. All of these things are animal-based and not to be consumed.
Then what can you eat? Hold on; we are getting there.
What You Should Consume
If you are on a vegan keto diet, you should know what you are allowed to consume. Anything plant-based and let us tell you, now, there is a large variety of products out there that are plant-based. So, we do not think craving something and not being able to eat it because it is animal-based would be an issue for a person living today.
You can consume all the healthy oils such as olive, sunflower, seed, nut, coconut, avocado, all these foods produce edible oils which are great news for you, they do not compromise on flavor. This does not mean you can deep fry stuff because it is plant-based. You are still on a diet, just with healthier options.
What about plant-based butter? Yes! That is a great choice; you can go for peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter, any butter that comes from a seed or nut that is okay for you to consume.
Talking about nuts and seeds, you can also have them in their original form. Seeds and nuts both have exceptional health benefits and are great to add to your meals. Not to forget, these nuts and seeds are very fulfilling and will keep you feeling full and aid you with your diet marvelously. You can have acorns (there are many delicious recipes out there), you can have pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, almonds, etc.
If you are on a vegan keto diet, then coconut will be one of your best friends, that is because there is so much you get from it. You can have coconut milk, coconut cream, fat-filled coconut milk which is full of nutrients, coconut water, and much more. The best part about coconut-based products is the flavor.
Add vegetables to your diet too. But only the kind that has no starch because remember, you are on a vegan keto diet. You cannot have potatoes, sweet potatoes, or any vegetable with starch. However, you can use all the leafy greens such as spinach, kale, mustard leaves, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, and much more.
Try berries and avocados as low sugar fruits. You can make guacamole do so much by adding some berries.
Other than that, do not forget there is a whole variety of vegan foods out there, almost all of them are keto-friendly because they are fully plant-based. The things you can go for are full-fat tofu, vegan cheese, vegan cream, vegan butter, plant-based yogurt, and whatnot. You can even go for sea vegetables; there are a lot of them available as well.
Do not forget to add flavor from lemons, different fresh veggies, and spices, along with Kim-chi, etc.
What You Can Consume In Moderation
There are some components you cannot avoid on a diet; well, a vegan keto diet gives you the flexibility to follow your heart. You can consume some components in moderate amounts, such as a small amount of fruit, cereal, bread, starchy vegetables, many alcoholic beverages are high carbs, low good fat food, processed food, sugary food, beans, legumes, etc., can be taken, but you should measure the amount and nutrients on a keto calculator. A good app we like for keeping track of what you eat is Carb Manager.
The Perfect Meal Plan For A Vegan-Keto Diet
For your ease and comfort, we will add some options you can consume at different times.
- Are you craving eggs? Try tofu instead, dry pat, and stir-fry with your favorite scramble veggies. Do not forget to add some garlic seasonings along with black pepper and salt.
- Make yourself a super bowl breakfast with vegan protein powder, some vegan milk, seeds, and nuts. Blend it up for a hearty breakfast.
- Craving pancakes? You can make low carb vegan cream cheese pancakes.
- You can also make your vegan yogurt bowl, add some chia seeds and nuts on top to make it more filling.
- If you have time, then try out keto vegan breakfast muffins; they are delicious!
- You can also try out chia or coconut breakfast pudding.
- If you are not feeling like doing something fancy, just put some keto and vegan-friendly options together in a blender and make a breakfast smoothie.
- Do you want spaghetti for lunch? How about trying tomato mushroom spaghetti squash.
- You can also have a low carb vegan pizza for lunch.
- Make a hearty casserole with vegan cheeses and cauliflower.
- You can make a dinner bowl with keto-friendly veggies, cheeses and add in some seeds too.
- You can make a tofu bowl.
- There are some vegan and keto-friendly artificial meats out there, so how about a burger with vegan cheese?
- If you are craving savory foods, then make cauliflower fritters, throw-in some zucchini too.
- A low carb spinach pie will warm your heart.
- Make eggplant Parmesan instead of chicken parm.
- You can make garlic butter spaghetti with squash.
- How about mushroom soup for cold nights? But, vegan.
- Want Chinese? Have cauliflower fried rice.
- You can even make pizza with cauliflower and some veggies and cheese on top.
- Vegan chili with avocado, the best!
- Roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Coconut yogurt or milk.
- Cucumber with a little spice.
- Celery snacks.
- Peanut butter cups.
With all the meal options we mentioned, your vegan keto diet meal plan is sorted. The most amazing outcome of this diet is you gain from the keto diet benefits in addition to the vegan diet benefits. This article will also help you eliminate the boring vegan keto meal options that you might have been stuck to otherwise.
We hope you found this article on Vegan Keto Diet Meal Plan informative! Kindly share your views in the comment section below.